PSALM 89:1-4, 19-26
METER: 10 10 10 10
SUGGESTED TUNE: SLANE
This is the meter of the hymn "Be Thou My Vision"
1. Lord, I'll sing al-ways of your con-stant love;
I'll tell your faith-ful-ness to ev-ery age.
I know that your love will for-ev-er last,
And that you're faith-ful, as firm as the heav'ns.
2. You said, "I cov-e-nant with one I choose;
I made a pro-mise to Da-vid my own,
That his de-scend-ants would o'er Is-rael rule,
And that his dyn-as-ty would al-ways be."
3. You spoke in vi-sions to those long a-go:
"I crown a might-y one, who I did choose.
A-mong my peo-ple great Da-vid I've found;
I have a-noint-ed him with ho-ly oil,
4. So that my strength shall a-bide with him e'er,
That by my might al-so he shall be strong.
Foes won't out-wit him, nor wick-ed ones crush.
I'll crush his foes and those who do hate him.
5. My faith-ful-ness and my stead-fast love shall
Be with him al-ways, my serv-ant is he.
I will ex-alt him be-cause of my name,
He shall for-ev-er vic-tor-i-ous be.
6. I will set his hand upon the great sea,
And his right hand o'er the riv-ers shall rule.
He shall cry to me, 'My Fa-ther you are,
You are my God, and the Rock who saves me.'"
Stanzas 1-5 reprinted by permission of the publisher from Sing the Psalms! by Dale A. Schoening. Copyright 1988 Dale A. Schoening. Alt. 2002 Dale A. Schoening. Stanza 6 copyright 2002 Dale A. Schoening.