METER: LM (88 88)
SUGGESTED TUNE: DUKE STREET OR TRURO
This is the same meter as the hymn "Jesus Shall Reign"
1. The Lord is great, great to be praised
In the great cit-y of our God.
Zi-on, the moun-tain of our God
Is high and beau-ti-ful to see.
2. Zi-on, the cit-y of the king
Gives joy to peo-ple ev-ery-where.
With-in the cit-y's fort-ress-es
God has shown he's a sure de-fense.
3. For lo, the kings to-geth-er came,
To place Mount Zi-on un-der siege.
But when they saw, they were a-mazed;
They were a-fraid and ran a-way.
4. With fear and an-guish they were seized,
Like wo-men who were giv-ing birth.
You sent an east wind that did smash
The ships of Tar-shish in-to bits.
5. We've seen and heard what God has done
In the cit-y that's al-ways his.
We think up-on your con-stant love
In-side your Tem-ple, Lord our God.
6. Your fame and praise go through the earth.
Let Zi'n be glad, for you are just.
Let Ju-dah's cit-ies shout for joy.
'Round Zi-on walk, and count its towers,
7. Not-ice its walls, its bul-warks see.
Tell fu-ture gen-e-ra-tions that
This is our God through-out all time.
For-ev-er he will be our guide.
Reprinted by permission of the publisher from Sing the Psalms! by Dale A. Schoening. Copyright 1988 Dale A. Schoening. Alt. 2000 Dale A. Schoening.