METER: CM (86 86)
SUGGESTED TUNES: AZMON, ST. ANNE, or RICHMOND
This is the meter for such hymns as "O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing", "O God, Our Help in Ages Past" or "O For a Heart to Praise My God"
1. Hap-py they who care for the poor,
God helps them in their need.
The Lord pro-tects and keeps their lives,
And the land calls them blest;
2. God does not give them o-ver to
The pow-er of their foes.
God helps them when they're sick in bed,
He heals them of dis-ease.
3. I said, "Lord, have mer-cy on me;
Heal me, for I have sinned."
My foes say cru-el things of me;
They hope I die un-known.
4. Those who come to me aren't sin-cere,
They come to gath-er lies
So they can gos-sip ev-ery-where
The worst news they can find.
5. All who hate me whisp-er a-bout,
They con-jure up the worst.
They say, "He is sick un-to death,
He won't rise from his bed."
6. E-ven the best friend that I had,
The one whom I did trust,
The one who shared my food with me,
A-gainst me turned him-self.
7. O Lord, be gra-cious un-to me.
Re-store my fail-ing health,
That I may get re-venge a-gainst
All of my en-e-mies.
8. By this I know you're pleased with me:
My foes have not pre-vailed..
You help me, for I do what's right;
I'll al-ways be with you.
9. Blest be the Lord, the might-y God,
The God of Is-ra-el!
Praise him for all e-ter-ni-ty!
Let it be so. A-men.
Reprinted by permission of the publisher from Sing the Psalms! by Dale A. Schoening. Copyright 1988 Dale A. Schoening. Alt. 2011 Dale A. Schoening.