PSALM 31:1-5, 19-24
METER: CM (86 86)
SUGGESTED TUNE: ST. ANNE
This is the meter to such hymns as "O God, Our Help in Ages Past."
1. In you, O Lord, I seek ref-uge,
Let me not be a-shamed;
In right-eous-ness de-liv-er me.
Turn to me, save me now!
2. A rock of ref-uge be to me,
A fort-ress strong to save.
You're my de-fense, Lord; for your sake
Lead and di-rect my ways.
3. Take me out of the hid-den trap,
For you are my ref-uge.
In-to your hands I place my-self;
You saved me, faith-ful God.
4. How plen-teous is your good-ness, Lord,
Which you laid up for those
Who al-ways place their trust in you,
As seen by hu-man-kind.
5. Your pres-ence hides them from the plots
And schemes of wick-ed ones.
You shel-ter them and keep them safe
From the a-buse of tongues.
6. Blest be the Lord, who won-drous-ly
Has shown his love to me.
When I was un-der siege, he heard
Me when I cried for help.
7. O love the Lord, all faith-ful ones!
For he pre-serves your life,
But pun-ish-es the haugh-ty one.
Be strong, wait for the Lord!
Stanzas 1-3 reprinted by permission of the publisher from Sing the Psalms! by Dale A. Schoening. Copyright 1988 Dale A. Schoening. Stanzas 4-7 copyright 2002 Dale A. Schoening.