METER: 14 14 11 8
SUGGESTED TUNE: LOBE DEN HERREN
This is the meter of the hymn "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty"
NOTE: If only using verses 1-12, use stanzas 1-4.
1. O Lord, do not for-get all of the hard-ships of Da-vid,
How he pledged to the Lord, the Might-y One, God of Ja-cob:
"I'll not go home or rest or get an-y sleep
Un-til the Lord has his own home."
2. We heard in Beth-le-hem, we found it in Ja-ar's re-gion:
"Let us go to God's home; let us bow down at his foot-stool."
Rise up, O Lord, go to the place of your rest,
Come with the ark of your pow-er.
3. Clothe priests with just-ice, and let joy-ful people shout prais-es.
For D-avid's sake look with fa-vor up-on your a-noint-ed.
God swore to him an oath which he'll not de-ny:
"One of your sons al-ways shall reign."
4. "If your sons keep the a-gree-ment I've made with your peo-ple
And all the teach-ings that I will give for their in-struc-tion,
Their sons as well shall sit and rule from your throne,
This is my prom-ise for-ev-er."
5. The Lord has cho-sen to make his home up-on Mount Zi-on:
"Here I will al-ways rest, I want to make this my dwell-ing.
I will pro-vide; food I will give to the poor.
The priests have al-ways my bless-ing."
6. "Her peo-ple shall re-joice, sing-ing and shout-ing their prais-es.
Here one of Da-vid's sons I will make into a great king.
I'll shame his foes; Mes-si-ah's lamp I'll pre-pare,
Da-vid's crown shines on his count-enance.
Stanzas 1-4 reprinted by permission of the publisher from Supplementary Volume to Sing the Psalms by Dale A. Schoening. Copyright 1992 Dale A. Schoening. Stanzas 5-6 copyright 2000 Dale A. Schoening.